To prevent or minimize disruptions to the areas where we operate, we have implemented a clear set of principles aimed at reducing environmental risk. These include:
- Compliance with national and international environmental legislation
- Mitigation of negative impact on the environment by adopting management and technology solutions that take environmentally important aspects of our operations fully into account
- Continuously improving our environmental management system
- Introduction of advanced technologies to achieve a higher level of environmental safety in all operating areas
- Improved environmental awareness of our staff, and involving them fully in our efforts to reduce environmental risks
- Providing open and accessible environmental performance information to our stakeholders
ALROSA has now launched a new, comprehensive programme of environmental measures with activities mapped out from the present till 2018. These cover:
- Improved of nature conservation management - including environmental audits, environmental monitoring, the development and adoption of corporate standards of environmental management, and certification under ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 14001:2007Environmental Management System’
- Scientific and technical support for environmental activities
- Exploration, development and deployment of innovative technologies in waste management
- Increased openness and promoting public awareness of our environmental performance
The Company’s total environmental spending amounted to about RUB 5.96 billion in 2014.
ALROSA implemented a number of important environmental projects, including:
- construction of the mine and drainage water re-injection system at International underground mine;
- construction of the main water removing unit at Mir underground mine;
- reconstruction of the biological treatment unit at Jubilee pipe;
- reconstruction of the biological sewage treatment station in the Udachny town and Nakyn settlement;
- construction of the mine and drainage water injection system at Levoberezhny site;
- extension of the tailing dump facility of processing plant No.16.
While addressing environmental problems, ALROSA also pays great attention to conserving biodiversity in our main production area, Western Yakutia. We allocated more than RUB 60 million to establish a specially protected territory, Living Diamonds of Yakutia Natural Park. Under our ‘Restoration of Biological Diversity’ program we have introduced populations of beavers, musk oxen and buffalo into Yakutia. We are delighted to report that these animals have now settled in, and are clearly thriving in the environment of the Far North.