The Yakutniproalmaz Research and Design Institute (http://www.ynalrosa.ru/), and the Geological Research and Exploration Enterprise – both located in Mirny - carry out vital scientific research in the mining, mineral processing and exploration technology fields.
In 2012, Yakutniproalmaz Institute provided research and other services to a value of RUB 352 million; research funded by federal subventions from the Ministry of Education and Science amounted to RUB 91.5 million. The value of the design production work was RUB 1,546.2 million, including RUB 718.6 million provided directly by Yakutniproalmaz (not counting any subcontracted work).
Scientists and engineers of ALROSA Co Ltd developed unique methods of construction of open-pit mines with large angles of inclination of the sides. Udachny open-pit mine.
Processing equipment of the plant was created according to designs of the company’s scientists. Plant No. 14 of Nyurba MPE.
In the geo-mechanics laboratory.
In the environment protection laboratory. Yakutniproalmaz Institute.
In 2012, the Geological Research and Exploration Enterprise provided geological studies to the value of RUB 231.5 million.
Comprehensive mining research covered the following areas:
- Rational use of mining and mine transport capacities of the mining and processing divisions
- Optimization of parameters of open-pit mines
- Development of reduced-impact kimberlite blasting technology, using emulsion explosives allowing for maximum diamond safety
- Creation of computer models of kimberlite deposits, and techniques for computer-aided design of open-pit and underground mines (using the Datamine software)
- Searching for new breakthrough technology solutions in the field of open-pit and underground mining
Yakutniproalmaz Institute acts as the project generator and coordinator, and general designer. Mine design and engineering are based on technical specifications and production schedules, which are themselves based on the results of research. In the design stage, we also pay particular attention to protecting the subsoil, natural resources, and the environment; compliance with industrial safety regulations; and full extraction of reserves.
ALROSA has used the Datamine software to solve geological problems, and design and plan mining operations. This has worked very successfully.
We also prioritise cooperation with industrial and academic research institutions. Here are some of the best-known institutes and organizations we work with, either as research partners or by drawing on their own research.
Institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), including the Siberian Branch:
- Institute of Mining of the Siberian Branch of the RAS (Novosibirsk)
- Mining Institute of the North (Yakutsk)
- Permafrost Institute (Yakutsk)
- Institute of Comprehensive Exploitation of Mineral Resources (Moscow)
- St. Petersburg Faculty of the Geo-Ecological Institute (St. Petersburg)
- Yakutsk Scientific Center of the Siberian Branch of the RAS (Yakutsk)
- Irkutsk Scientific Center of the Siberian Branch of the RAS (Irkutsk)
Higher educational establishments:
- MoscowStateUniversity (Moscow)
- MoscowStateMiningUniversity (Moscow)
- Saint PetersburgStateMiningUniversity (NationalMineralResourcesUniversity)
- Mirny Polytechnical Institute of the YakutskStateUniversity (Mirny),
- IrkutskStateUniversity (IrkutskStateTechnicalUniversity and the ISU, Irkutsk)
Independent (non-state owned) institutes and organizations:
- «Irgiredmet» (Irkutsk)
- Interindustry Research Center VNIMI (St. Petersburg)
- Novotek (Belgorod)
- «Mehonobr» and «Giprotsvetmet» (St. Petersburg)
- «Galurgiya» (Perm)