Science and Design
Diamond mining is traditionally a knowledge-intensive production, where state-of-the-art technology is concentrated, breakthrough design solutions are embodied.
Yakutniproalmaz Research and Design Institute (http://www.ynalrosa.ru/) and Geo-Scientific Research Enterprise (NIGP), located in Mirny, carry out significant volumes of scientific studies in the field of mining and minerals processing technology, geological exploration.
Yakutniproalmaz Institute acts as a general designer, project coordinator and generator. Design of mining enterprises is carried out based on technical specifications and process procedures developed based on the results of the institute scientific department work. The critical objectives of designing are protection of mineral resources and environment, compliance with the requirements of the industrial safety and completeness of the reserves extraction.
Main directions of research and development activities carried out by Yakutniproalmaz Institute:
- mining operations (open-pit and underground);
- processing and beneficiation processes;
- economics and social policy;
- automation and patenting;
- energy engineering;
- ecology and occupational safety.
The Institute experts carry out research and development activities (R&D), process operations (PO), and render engineering and technical services (ETS).
In 2017, the amount of scientific works, including those carried out by the contractors, will reach RUB 712 mln, which is 27% higher compared with a year earlier.
Research and scientific-and-technical services for 2017 are performed within the R&D thematic plan on 36 subjects. Commissioners of works were all the Company subdivisions, and such organizations as Catoca Ltd. Mining Co., PJSC Severalmaz, PJSC ALROSA-Nyurba, etc.
In the general structure of expenditures for scientific works in 2017, including R&D, PO and ETS, the maximum share accounts for mining (35.0%) and processing (22.8%). Works in the field of geological and economical assessment of the mineral resource base, economy and social policy make up 22.1%. 7.6% of the amount of financing are allocated to solve environmental problems.
The bulk of research activities focus on solving relevant problems and tasks of the production, search and creation of promising technological developments in the field of mining (open-pit and underground), beneficiation, energy saving, and environment protection.
In 2016, the Institute experts published 40 research articles in various print media.
In terms of technical developments created during R&D work, in 2016, there were obtained 12 registration certificates for software applications, 6 registration certificates for databases, 1 RF patent for invention, 1 decision on granting the RF utility model patent. In 2016, in Rospatent there were registered 6 applications for invention, 2 – for utility models, 12 – for software applications, 6 – for databases. Nine protection documents for utility models and inventions were obtained in the first half-year of 2017.
Scientific developments implemented into production
In terms of the earlier implemented measures, the actual economic effect in 2016 was approximately RUB 1.5 bln. In 2017, the expected economic effect from the use of 36 implemented scientific and technical developments will reach RUB 640.4 mln.
The results of examination of physical and mechanical properties of frozen rocks of kimberlite deposits in Yakutia
Improvement of ultra-deep open pit mines’ parameters
|Study of the environment situation by the accredited laboratory experts|
Hardware and software complex based on the gas chromatograph Crystal-5000.1
Design and Survey Activities
The volume of performed design and survey works (DSW) in 2017 amounted to RUB 1,095.3 mln, including those without subcontracting – RUB 933.1 thousand, with subcontracting – RUB 162.2 thousand.
Main directions of design and survey works:
- design facilities and structures during open-pit and underground mining;
- design processing plants and units;
- design hydro-technical facilities;
- design communications facilities, local warning systems of the objects under construction and existing objects;
- design objects of industrial, housing and socio-cultural purpose;
- design objects related to the nature protection activities;
- carry out designer supervision;
- perform engineering surveys (geologic, geodetic and hydrometeorological);
- monitor buildings and structures deformation and frost supervision.
All design and survey operations are executed within the R&D thematic plan for 2017. Commissioners of works were all the Company subdivisions, affiliated and subsidiary entities, as well as external customers, such as Catoca Ltd. Mining Co., PJSC Severalmaz, PJSC ALROSA-Nyurba, JSC Almazy Anabara, LLC NG-Energo, ENGINEERING DOBERSEK GmbH and others.
Critical activities of 2017:
- Development of documentation for technical modification of the processing plant No. 12 of Udachny Mining and Processing Division;
- Start of the design work, including ETS, on Udachnaya pipe reserves uncovering to the mark of 680 m;
- Start of the design work, including ETS, on Internatsionalnaya pipe reserves uncovering at marks of 820 m/1,250 m.
- Development of documentation for the Area of internal water circulation, condensation, transporting and storage of dump waste products. Processing plant No. 12 of Udachny Mining and Processing Division.
- Development of documentation for the gas boiler house in Almazny settlement;
- Design works on the diamond-mining enterprise at Luele pipe, Catoca Ltd. Mining Co., Republic of Angola.
Designing with BIM technologies
Since 2013, works have been carried out for the employees of design departments to master AutoCAD software tool and new BIM design technologies. These works allowed switching to the full scale designing with the use of BIM technologies since 2016.