ALROSA’s main mining and processing operations are located in two Russian regions: the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) and the Arkhangelsk region in the northwest of the Russian Federation. The company has open-pit and underground mining as well as alluvial operations in Yakutia, and there are only open-pit mines in the Arkhangelsk region.
The company’s production is based on 11 primary and 13 placer deposits. These are grouped according to territory in a number of mining and processing divisions (MPDs), including subsidiary enterprises. There are four MPDs: Udachny, Aikhal, Mirny and Nyurba; and two subsidiaries. Each MPD consists of several mines, processing plants and equipment stock.
Conducts diamond mining at the following deposits:
- Yubileyny open-pit (since 1989). Current depth is 310 m; life of mine – up to 2023.
- Komsomolsky open-pit (since 2002). Current depth – 460 m; life of mine – up to 2020.
- Aikhal underground mine (since 2005). The development of the Aikhal pipe as an open-pit began in 1961 and was completed in 1997, when the open-pit mine reached its design depth of 305 m. In 2005, the underground mine was launched; in 2012, it reached the design capacity of 500 thousand tons of ore per year. Life of the underground mine – up to 2023.
Processing of ore from the Aikhal MPD mines is currently undertaken at Processing plants No. 8 and No. 14 with annual capacity of 1.7 and 10 million tons of ore respectively.
In 2016, the Aikhal MPD produced 12.228 million carats of rough diamonds.
The oldest mining and processing division of ALROSA, conducts diamond mining at the following deposits:
- Internatsionalny underground mine (since 1999) at Internatsionalnoye deposit is characterized by very high diamond grade (8.09 carats per ton). Life of the underground mine – up to 2022 at the design capacity of 500 thousand tons of ore per year.
- Mir underground mine (since 2009) at Mir deposit. Life of mine – up to 2043 at the design capacity of 1 million tons of ore per year; current annual capacity of the mine is 500 thousand tons of ore. Works related to increasing the capacity are underway.
- Alluvial deposits Irelyakh, Levoberezhnoye, Gornoye, Vodorazdelnye Galechniki and Tailings of Processing Plant No. 5.
The processing of ore from all mining operations is currently undertaken at a central processing plant, Plant No. 3 with annual capacity of 2 million tons of ore. Additional production is derived directly from Dredges Nos. 201, 202 and 203 working the placer deposits.
In 2016, the Mirny MPD produced 7.808 million carats of rough diamonds.
Conducts diamond mining at the following deposits:
- Udachny open-pit (since 1971). Reached its design depth of 640 m. Open-pit mining will be completed in 2015.
- Zarnitsa open-pit (since 1999). Current depth of the open-pit mine is 90 m and the design depth is 200 m.
- Udachny underground mine. Launched in 2014 it will become one of the largest underground mines in the world after reaching the design capacity of 4 million tons of ore per year.
Processing of ore from all the mining operations at Udachnaya and Zarnitsa pipes is currently undertaken at a central processing plant, Plant No. 12, located in the town Udachny.
In 2016, the Udachny MPD produced 3.167 million carats of rough diamonds.
One of the youngest MPD’s of ALROSA Group, conducts mining at the Nakyn kimberlite field. Conducts diamond mining at the following deposits:
- Nyurbinsky open-pit (since 2001). Current depth of the open-pit mine is 290 m.
- Botuobinskaya pipe. Was discovered in 1994; the pipe is located 3.3 km southwest from Nyurbinskaya pipe. Open-pit mining started here in 2015. Current depth of the mine is 83 m.
- Alluvial deposits. Nyurbinskoye placer deposit is located in the immediate vicinity of the primary kimberlite deposit of the same name; Botuobinskaya placer deposit is closely associated with the kimberlite pipe, both spatially and in origin, and adjoins the Botuobinskaya pipe on the southwest flank.
Processing of ore from all mining operations is currently undertaken at central processing plants, Plant No. 15 and Plant No. 16, with design capacity of 0.5 million tons and 1.4 million tons of ore per year, respectively.
In 2016, the Nyurba MPD produced 6.793 million carats of rough diamonds.
PJSC SEVERALMAZ (Lomonosov MPD)
Severalmaz (99.6% owned by ALROSA) develops Lomonosovskoe deposit in the Arkhangelsk region. The diamond deposit named after M.V. Lomonosov consists of 6 kimberlite pipes with more than 285 million tons of total resources, according to JORC Code.
Today the company conducts mining at the following deposits:
- Arkhangelsky open-pit (since 2005). Current depth – 128 m.
- Karpinskogo-1 open-pit (since 2014). Current depth – 86 m.
Processing of ore from all mining operations is currently undertaken at central processing plants, Plant No. 1 and No. 2. The second plant was commissioned in 2014 increasing the processing capacity of Lomonosovsky MPD from 1 million tons of ore to 4 million tons of ore per year.