Last Respects for Miners

Our contacts

Moscow Office

115184, Ozerkovskaya nab., 24


T: +7 (495) 620-92-50
+7 (495) 411-75-25

In connection with the tragedy at Mir underground mine, Tuesday, August 29, was declared a day of mourning in the Republic of (Sakha) Yakutia. The town of Mirny and the Republic are paying their last respects to the miners who could not be rescued: Alexey Vlasenko, Dmitry Zhukov, Vitaly Kulikov, Dmitry Mariin, Gleb Mirontsev, Valentin Misnik, Mikhail Neustroev and Igor Stepanov.

Entertainment events have been canceled in Yakutia on Tuesday, flags on public buildings are flying at half-mast.

A mourning prayer service and a farewell ceremony for the miners have been arranged in Mirny near the Mir mine administration building. Employees of ALROSA and residents of Mirny are coming to say farewell to their colleagues. They are putting candles and laying flowers to the memorial stone. Farewell ceremonies are held in all other ALROSA’s divisions in Aikhal, Udachny, Arkhangelsk and other cities and towns.

The tragedy at Mir mine left no one indifferent. Residents of Yakutsk are laying flowers to the mourning wall near the building of ALROSA. The words of sympathy and support for the families and friends of the miners are being received from all over the country these days. The Head of Yakutia Yegor Borisov, the Archbishop Roman of Yakutsk and Lensk, the heads of municipal entities of Yakutia and many other Russians from different regions have already offered condolences.

Sergey Ivanov, ALROSA President:
“On behalf of the whole staff of ALROSA and on my own behalf, I wish to extend our sincere condolences to the families, relatives, friends and colleagues of the eight miners we could not rescue. Without exaggeration, the events of August 4, 2017 divided our company’s history into “before” and “after”. For it will never be again the way it was before. We must radically reconsider everything related to security issues and everything that led to the tragedy at the Mir mine. So that nothing like this would ever happen again. We have a great work ahead and mistakes are not an option here. This tragedy should not only serve as a bitter lesson for the future: it must unite and hold us together, make us stronger.”

The accident at Mir mine occurred on August 4, when the water accumulated in the open pit flooded the underground mine. As a result of the search and rescue operation, 142 out of 151 miners who worked underground were brought to the surface in the first hours after the accident. Another worker was rescued the following day. Despite all the rescuers’ efforts, eight miners could not be found. On August 26, for the safety of the rescuers the search and rescue operation was terminated.

This page was last updated on 29 August 2017 at 12.46